Putting on rubber bands on braces can be difficult at first, but after a couple tries you'll quickly get the hang of it (get it, a rubber band hangs on your braces).
It's easy enough to take the rubber bands off. It's a lot more important to learn how to properly put the rubber bands on. Improper placement can delay the progress of your treatment, and worse yet it could end up harming your teeth or tissues.
Here's how to do it:
- Wash your hands first before touching the inside of your mouth to prevent you from getting germs.
- Take out ONE band the bag of rubber bands at a time. (If you take out two, you'll need to figure out where to put the other one and it might end up getting dirty or lost)
- Look into the mirror open your mouth wide to make it easier to see what you're doing.
- Find the first tooth and its hook (as shown by your orthodontist).
- Carefully stretch the rubber band and place it on the first hook.
- Find the next tooth and the next hook.
- Stretch the elastic out until it's just around the other hook. You don't want to stretch it too far otherwise it will attach to the wrong hook.
- Repeat any other hooks and any other rubber bands.
Here's a video to show you how it's done.